[Ti] Sherlock is dead

Michael Bigley wakinyan at fuse.net
Mon Nov 3 08:23:05 PST 2003

>1. Internet - I Google, and Safari has this built-in. I don't
>remember the last time I actually typed Google's URL since I started
>using Safari. And the internet tab does not include Google. Even if
>I want to do a groups or image search, I go thru the normal search
>first.

Never use it, especially with Safari's built in Google it is redundant.

>2. Pictures - See above.

Watson's is equal or better

>3. Stocks - Too conditioned to check Yahoo for stocks.

Watson is MUCH better; in addition, this is a poor implementation of
a service that is widely available in easier and better ways.

>4. Movies - This is the one thing Sherlock does better. IMDB lookup
>from here would just rock, but I can do this by hand if I have to.

Watson is equal or better; actually better because it works more
consistently. I also leave Watson running all the time, which I can't
do with Sherlock (crashy and memory hog)

>5. Phone Book - Rarely use it but it is handy how it has map functionality.

If Sherlock were more stable and fast, this is hands down better than
Watson, because of the map functionality.  However, it is much
quicker to look up phone numbers in Watson; I have also used their
reverse lookup to find the location of people (handy for classifieds
since it is nearly impossible to figure out the community by the
first 3 digits of a phone number any more.)

>6. eBay - Neat and fast, but I am conditioned to use the browser (if
>half the default channels would feel like this then it would be
>worth to keep Sherlock open all day long)

Watson is equal or better; Watson is much faster than a browser for
doing initial ebay searches, then it launches you to the web site for
refining the search.

>7. Flights - Handy but in my new job I never travel.

Little if any functional use; this is a novelty at this point.

>8. Dictionary - Do a google search and a list of words from your
>search criteria will show up right above the search results.
>Clicking on any of these words will send you to a dictionary.

Watson is equal or better.

>9. Translation - I use Google's language tools.

Watson is equal or better.

>10. Apple Care - never use it.
Again, when it works, this is an outstanding troubleshooting tool.
This has become my first tool when looking for technical information;
unfortunately, Sherlock still is not consistently stable.

--
       http://www.norbertrunning.com