install prep..how to proceed

T Molnar tam at em.ca
Fri Nov 7 09:52:27 PST 2003

Panther in hand I am wondering about the best way to handle this
install.
I think I would like to reformat the drive or at least optimize it
so....does it matter?

1. Reformat - install option
Can I clone (carbon copy cloner) my HD then bring my applications back
over to the new system?
Could I just burn them to a DVD instead?
In either case do I just drag the application back? What about other
files associated with the application (preferences, serial numbers)?
(some of my installers are unavailable to me, though I could wait and
get them mailed to me)
I am fearing long sessions of reinstalling things with various CD's.

2. Optimize and install option
What would people suggest for optimizing (defrag) the HD.

Any websites that detail this type of stuff?

Caveats:
I don't have FW drives though I could get one or buy one (as I likely
will soon anyway).

Suggestions and insights offered much appreciated.

cheers,
tim

tim.molnar
Digital Tao