[Ti] Need some help with new HD and Panther upgrade

Kynan Shook kynan at cs.wisc.edu
Sat Nov 15 00:22:38 PST 2003

Here's what I'd recommend; reinstall that new hard drive, and do an
archive and install of Panther, preserving users and network settings.
That should fix the OS issues caused by a bad clone, yet it will keep
your whole user folder intact, along with all your prefs.  Anything
installed at the system level (depending on the company, drivers,
screen savers, fonts, etc. that you may have installed) will end up in
the "Previous Systems" folder.

If that doesn't work, do another archive and install, NOT preserving
the users, and then copy the contents of your user folder into a new
user.

Cloning works best if done directly from one drive to another; it would
seem that you don't have the necessary tools to do that (a FireWire
enclosure works great, plus you can keep using that old hard drive of
yours once everything is done).

As for problems with fsck; it's not the world's best utility for fixing
things, much like Disk Utility.  I recommend DiskWarrior as the one
best program.  Norton is OK, but I've seen it cause problems, so the
only time I ever touch Norton is if DiskWarrior can't fix a problem,
and the data is extremely important (I am employed to do data recovery
and computer repair, etc.).  DiskWarrior has saved a very large number
of otherwise nearly unreadable drives.

Good luck!