[Ti] 667 overheating?

cheshirekat cheshirekat at pobox.com
Sat Nov 15 19:10:25 PST 2003

On Sat, Nov 15, 2003, Glenn L. Austin glenn at austin-home.com, invoked
powers within the internet realm, to proclaim ...

>on 11/15/03 10:36 AM, Jesse Proudman at j.list at blueboxdev.com wrote:

>>> Why?  Does it feel hot?  Is the fan running?
>>
>> Yes, it's hot and the fan is running, though not always full speed.

>>> Have you tried a restart?
>>
>> When it ends up crashing I restart...  It's crashing MUCH more with
>> Panther... Though just in the last 2 days and just when I'm in bed and
>> it's hot.
>
>I run with a CoolPad podium *all* the time.  I've noticed that when the
>computer "sinks in" to the bed that it will run hot.

Before I got my PowerBook, someone suggested I get a CoolPad or something
similar so my Ti would cool off easier. I got a RoadTools Podium CoolPad
from the local Apple Store where I purchased my Ti.
<http://www.roadtools.com/trio.html> I've heard from both pc and Apple
laptop owners that it is not good for the laptop to have them resting on
or settled into blankets or clothing, so I use the CoolPad all the time.
I remove the rubber feet and it slides into my Brenthaven backpack easily
in the same compartment I keep my books and papers in. The rubber feet go
in the front pouch with my earphones.

I don't think my Ti has ever felt like it was overheating. I hear the fan
going on occasionally for a few minutes, but I keep the vents clear and
even use the CoolPad on my desktop. When I use my Ti in bed, I always
prop a firm pillow under the CoolPad so I can be sure to keep the sheets
and blankets clear of the vents, whether or not it's on my lap. I also
make sure the power "brick" isn't resting on or caught up in the blankets
as it always feels very warm.

The hubby had an old Toshiba but never bought anything to elevate it to
allow it to vent. He rarely used it on his lap, and on his desk, he
propped the pc laptop up with a strip of styrofoam. I tried using
styrofoam for a couple weeks or resting my Ti on my backpack on my lap.
The CoolPad works better for me and I like how it swivels easily.

cheshirekat