[Ti] H. Arp quote

Jesse Brown jesse.brown at mac.com
Thu Nov 20 10:12:02 PST 2003

On 11/20/03 9:26 AM, "RRSounds at aol.com" <RRSounds at aol.com> wrote:

> Wed, 19 Nov 2003 14:52:14, Jesse Brown <jesse.brown at mac.com> wrote:
>
> <<
> And who would you be referring to in "he"? Me or Halton Arp?
> --
> Jesse
>>>

> As the Subject line says, H. Arp. Unless you are writing under a pseudonym for
> Mr. Arp.
> :-)
>
> I don't think computers, therefore Ti-books, hence this list, would exist
> without an exquisite combination of intelligence and education.

No argument

> I look at people such as Steve Wozniak, a very good example of an educated,
> smart man who has offered his talents to academia, and cannot help but believe
> we are a better race by having such people in our midst.

No argument there either

> Saying these people are out of touch with reality is a slam on the concept of
> intelligence and the value of education, and their usefulness to Humankind.

Not referring to them at all. This is not an educated vs uneducated or
poorly educated argument but rather one of dogma and overspecialization.

> Though the 'reality' which intelligent people see may not jibe with that
> perceived by those of lesser intellect/schooling, it does not follow that one
> is more 'real' than the other.

The quote is referring to some extremely intelligent people with elite
education who become so wrapped up in the dogma of their specialties that
they literally cannot perceive reality even when it slams them upside the
head. Or they refuse to acknowledge anyone who would question their
worldview.

Halton Arp is a distinguished astronomer who has run afoul of the
"mainstream" Astronomy establishment for suggesting that "redshift" may not
be an indicator of cosmological distance and offers much evidence that would
possibly destroy the "Big Bang" theory. All he suggests is that the evidence
warrants a closer look. Instead, mainstream astronomers continue to get more
angels to dance on the head of pin to prop up the ridiculous Big Bang
theory. As a result, no matter how good or relevant the evidence he
presents, it is blackballed from being published or acknowledged by the
mainstream science community.

And for the life of me I can't squeeze in any Mac or Powerbook related stuff
so anyone wishing to pursue this conversation off line, I would be happy to
take up the conversation one on one. It's quite interesting if you are in
anyway interested in Cosmology or Astronomy.

--
Jesse

"If it be the chief point of friendship to comply with a friends motions and
inclinations, the dog possesses this in eminent degree: he lies down when I
sit and walks when I walk, which is more than many good friends can pretend
to do." -A. Pope