[Ti] Panther network functionality

John simplymail at ururk.com
Sat Nov 22 08:24:10 PST 2003

>> If you're more technically inclined and like to fiddle with things:
>> Open your Script Editor (found in /Applications/Apple Script/) and cut
>> and past the following into it:
>>
>> tell application "Finder"
>> mount volume "smb://username:password@192.168.1.1/share name"
>> end tell

I have this set up this way (without the IP, password, or user name) to
mount a

domain;server/sharedFolder

but do not include the password/user name. OSX will autofill the Domain
IF the script includes the Domain name. The user field will be
autofilled as well, BY OSX with the user name of the currently logged
user.

The issue our IT guy had with encoding the password in the URL - it
sends the password clear text. I think this means anyone with access to
the logs can know what the passwords are.