[Ti] Max Resolution not max enough

Kynan Shook kynan at cs.wisc.edu
Mon Nov 24 06:12:37 PST 2003

Well, somebody else already mentioned this, but I'll go a little more
in-depth; yes, 1152x768 is a hardware limit.  There are exactly that
number of pixels on an LCD display, no more, no less.  Lower
resolutions are made by scaling each pixel to be a little bit larger
than it actually is, and then putting it on the screen.  The lower
performance is due to the fact that the computer is *still* pushing out
1152x768 pixels, but before it draws those, it has to figure out how to
scale up from a lower resolution, giving the video card more work.

So no, you can't make your display bigger than it actually is; besides,
if you did that, instead of using some data multiple times to fill more
pixels, you'd be actually *losing* data.  Also, things would be fuzzy
like they are at lower-than-optimal resolutions.  So you'd have a fuzzy
display with even smaller text, and many details would be lost in the
display.  You'd be much, much better off to just buy yourself a nice
external display instead of wasting your time on the impossible.