[Ti] Help with Panther: crash on sleep/inactivity

John Griffin jwegriffin at mac.com
Tue Nov 25 15:03:33 PST 2003

John McDaniel typed this message on 11/25/03 8:19 AM:

> I come back to the PB in one of two states:
>
> 1) Screen on, but frozen (can't move cursor, keyboard useless) w/fan on
> full force non-stop; NO ability to force quit or get anywhere; the only
> option is to hold down the power on and wait for the shut down, then
> re-boot.
>
> 2) Screen dark; HD spun down/inactive; won't wake from sleep (yes,
> plugged in); must use power down/reboot sequence above.

Sounds as if it could be any one of a number of things. What apps do you
have open when this happens? Eliminate them one at a time and see if the
behavior continues.

Do you have third party system enhancers and utilities running in the
background? If so, again, eliminate them one at a time. One of these may be
the culprit.

Do you have stuff connected to your USB, Firewire, etc. port? Are they
turned on? Again, eliminate them one at a time.

If after going through all this you still have problems, do a safe boot
(reboot and hold down the shift key). Put it to sleep again and see if the
problem is still there.

If it is, there might be something loading in at startup that is causing the
problem - check your startup items (System Preferences/accounts/startup
items). Again, eliminate items that Apple didn't place there one at a time
and reboot. (Or you could open the Activity Monitor in the Utilities folder
and force things to quit (if you know what you are doing) and see if the
behavior continues.

Failing all this, I would run all the utilities (Disk Utility (Disk Repair
and Permissions Repair), fsck, prebinding, and Disk Warrior 3.0 if you have
it. And then reinstall Panther.

After all that, if your powerbook is still misbehaving, if it were me I
would probably throw it out of a 10th story window! Kidding.

jg