[Ti] Airport Extreme IP address issues?

Steve Wozniak steve at woz.org
Wed Nov 26 10:58:50 PST 2003

At 11:41 AM -0500 2003.11.26, James Hall wrote:

>Bear with me if this has been discussed before, but my Airport Extreme
>will see networks (both mine at home with a Netgear MR814v2) and here at
>work (with God knows what), and will even refer to them by name (ie:
>Airport is connect to such-and-such).  However, it will not get an IP
>address even though DHCP is enabled.  My iBook connects fine to either
>network, using a standard Airport card.  Both running Panther, settings
>visually are the same on both machines.

All I can say is that I had the same problem with a DLink wireless router at my daughter's apartment near UCLA. The Windows machines used the wi-fi network right away but my daughter has to have an ethernet cable running to her iMac. Her TiBook and my 17" Big Al also would connect to the DLink router but not reach the internet.

I never got the answer. I suspect that it is some combination of the DLink Router, the DSL modem or who knows what.

To test things I purchased a slightly more advanced DLink router and tested at work and at home. I believe that I finally got it to work at home where I serve true IP Addresses and just bridge the DLink, although my first attempts failed, probably using the DLink NAT mode.

Just when you are sure that you'll work everywhere something like this comes up. I'm getting too tired to keep finding solutions to problems that should not be.
--

Regards,

Steve  (is tv wake zone?)