[Ti] Airport Extreme IP address issues?

Chris Olson chris at astcomm.net
Wed Nov 26 13:11:20 PST 2003

On Nov 26, 2003, at 12:58 PM, Steve Wozniak wrote:
> All I can say is that I had the same problem with a DLink wireless
> router at my daughter's apartment near UCLA. The Windows machines used
> the wi-fi network right away but my daughter has to have an ethernet
> cable running to her iMac. Her TiBook and my 17" Big Al also would
> connect to the DLink router but not reach the internet.

I've noticed this as well with 802.11g, and both linux and OS X clients
failing to get a DHCP lease from D-Link routers.  But I think it's a
problem on Apple's end, and not D-Link.  D-Link uses Cisco PIX for its
operating system on an ARM7 or ARM9 embedded chip, which is an industry
standard.  Apple uses something else in the AirPort, and I'm not sure
what it is.  Usually, when I've seen this problem with a D-Link it's
because of incompatible encryption settings.  Try using a static
address on your Mac client and see if that allows the D-Link to
properly route your packets with NAT.  If that doesn't work, try
disabling encryption and use straight MAC address filtering to keep
other people off your network, and see if it fixes it.

If you're familiar with unix command line networking tools you can use
those to diagnose where the problem is occurring, or use the OS X
Network Utility, which provides a graphical interface to the unix
networking tools (found in /Applications/Utilities/)
--
Chris