[Ti] airport base

Peter Krug pkrug at mac.com
Fri Nov 28 18:07:37 PST 2003

>Dear all,
>
>I'm starting to look around for an apple base to be used at home
>with my wife's iMac and my Ti500 and I've got few questions:
>
>a) is there any specific advantage in using the Apple airport base
>compared to non-Apple ones?

Ease of configuration (built-in to the OS).  Modem availability.

>b) apart from the Apple one, do you suggest any favorite 802.11
>station? (cheaper than Apple)

Linksys works well in my in-laws' cross-platform environment.  Web
browser-based config.

>c) with or without modem? I'm currently using the default cable modem by NTL.

If you ever think that you'll lose your broadband and have to switch
to dialup, the modem will be necessary.

>d) I remember from old posts that the Ti500 has some issues
>regarding the range. What is the range from the station I should
>expect using the Ti with an airport card? Or it is better to go for
>a card with an external antenna?

Yeah, the built-in airport range on the Ti is pretty pathetic
relative to the iBooks and the aluminum PB's.  Haven't tried the
cards with the external antennas.

Maybe you should test out the range prior to buying the base station
- see if you can get your hands on two airport cards for a test and
set up the iMac as a software base station.  The iMac may not give as
much range as the basestation would, but you can get an idea about
the general distance you can be away from the base station.

HTH,

Peter

--
A little computer haiku:
I can't remember

This message sent with Eudora 6.0.1 on Mac OS X 10.3.1