10.2.8

Massimo Marino Massimo_Marino at lbl.gov
Wed Oct 1 00:08:13 PDT 2003

> I have a LOT of sympathy for those trusting souls! They thought
> different...they thought that Apple would treat them better than MS.

Apple *is* doing better than Microsoft. I have never heard of Microsoft
pulling out an update.
Heck, their Security Patch IV REMOVES the patch for MSBlaster and it is
still around.

I have lots of sympathy for people who got toasted with 10.2.8 but
sometimes I have mixed feelings: On 10.2.8 warnings Apple explicitly
mentioned few third party apps which would have caused troubles with
the update and warned about de-installing them before the update: first
posts on Apple discussions were complains about exactly those third
party apps: "Hey Apple, such-and-such does not work". Oh, really?!

> and this is NO WAY to do it..."Mistakes" are
> allowed...NOT owning up to them - is NOT.

People who lost ethernet or have battery drained I understand
perfectly. Others - TransparentDock broken and dock misbehaving - a bit
less. I do not think Apple will ever tests their updates against all
possible OS-hacks nor should.

Loss of ethernet on dual G4 *is* a problem: Apple pulled the update and
is working on it - apparently also on Power management for battery
drain: is not that owning up to it?
Unless you say Apple standard should be *absolute perfection* but I
believe *that* would not be a realistic expectation for you as well:
"mistakes are allowed".

Massimo