[Ti] 10.2.8

b fl1pper at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 1 09:37:22 PDT 2003

Robert Ameeti paused, thought it over, and spoke thusly:

>  >On Wednesday, October 1, 2003, at 03:08  AM, Massimo Marino wrote:
>>
>>>People who lost ethernet or have battery drained I understand
>>>perfectly. Others - TransparentDock broken and dock misbehaving -
>>>a bit less. I do not think Apple will ever tests their updates
>>>against all possible OS-hacks nor should.
>>
>>The problem is, the transparent dock is NOT  a hack. I don't hack
>>my system and my dock is transparent.
>
>How is it not a hack?
>
>The dock is Apple's stuff. Transparent Dock messes with Apple's
>stuff with patches to the System. That is hacking with Apple's stuff.

It's a 'hack', because a DEVELOPER, who pays money to Apple, to have
access to the APIs and system code necessary to develop apps and
little apps (utilities) for the Macintosh (which Jobs bragged in SF
had "over 300,000 developers SUPPORTING the Macintosh platform),
wrote an app that slightly changes the appearance of the GUI. Big
deal.

Photoshop is a 'hack', also. Otherwise jpegs would open in iPhoto,
Preview, or nothing else. So what? Again, Apple can't have it both
ways. They either reach out to developers, for support of the
platform, as they have, or they don't.

it's funny, when Microsoft issues an 'update' that breaks third-party
applications (and then later incorporates the app into the behemoth
that the NT-XP thing has become), everyone whines about 'limiting
innovation', 'stifling competition', etc. But when Apple does it,
it's somehow 'okay'.

I expect to see a 'transparency' feature in the Dock, at some point.
maybe once Jobs realizes that the brushed aluminum Finder in Panther
is a resounding failure and lets the people (at Apple) engineering
the GUI have a go. Nobody (even the sycophants) likes it.

My original comments, despite the defensive reaction of a few, were
not 'directed' at anyone. I agree, AND occasionally disagree, with
everyone, sooner or later. Again, so what? What is it, a package deal
"love me, love all my opinions!!"?.I hope not.

oddballs come up with brilliant ideas, and brilliant thinkers come up
with clinkers, once in a while. Who cares? look at the history of
Computing, or Science, for the evidence of all that.

I don't need Apple to hold my hand, whether I've loaded a screwy
Contextual Menu item (rarely a good idea), or Apple makes a rare
blunder. I fixed the damage from 10.2.8 myself, with an archive &
install. No big deal. If my battery (which I rarely use) has been
compromised, so what? I have three of them, all bought from Apple at
the same time. They don't live forever, anyway.

it's easy for outsiders to exhibit disdain for those of us who jump
on the latest 'anything' from Apple. But the reality is: Apple was
given wide latitude to do what they've done (which is innovate, and
'try' things out) because of people like us, NOT grandma and her .Mac
accounts, and not those that put down the early adopters that went to
Apple, long before there was a Mac, in the first place.

My girlfriend is on the verge of buying her first Mac, ever, due to
my incessant proselytizing on behalf of Apple. She hears the
bitching, she thinks whomever invented these lists, and Slashdot (in
particular) should be banished, but the reality is, unlike those who
ignore agreement with their points of view, and then pounce on
someone with the audacity to see things from a different perspective,
she knows that you 'need the white keys and the black keys to make
the whole piano."

That goes for opinions, platforms, programs, operating systems, and
life, in general. Since when did 'Think Different' become 'Agree
Blindly'?  Apple didn't get where they are by listening to those who
agree with whatever makes it out the door. They want feedback (and
praise, and why not), they want developers, and they need to know
what is and  isn't working for us, the users, too.

If Apple wants to hamstring the next couple of year's worth of
platforms with a carbon Finder, dressed up as a native, fine, I'll
stick with it. Hopefully, the developers with deep pockets will shift
gears, pay their access fees, and keep writing essential applications
that allow the Mac to be all it can be. In the meantime, as I said,
they don't 'owe me' anything by way of recompense, and I couldn't
give a rat's ass if they incorporate my ideas in my lifetime. And I
care even less if someone happens to deign to agree or disagree with
my point-of-view. This is between me and Cupertino, and so far, they
like my money, and I love them. Now when do I get my Cocoa Finder?
<laughs>

~flipper

~flipper