[Ti] 10.2.8

cbirds cbirds at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 1 10:03:48 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, October 1, 2003, at 12:37  PM, b wrote:

Flipper expounds on why the Dock is a hack:
> It's a 'hack', because a DEVELOPER, who pays money to Apple, to have
> access to the APIs and system code necessary to develop apps and
> little apps (utilities) for the Macintosh (which Jobs bragged in SF
> had "over 300,000 developers SUPPORTING the Macintosh platform), wrote
> an app that slightly changes the appearance of the GUI. Big deal.

Well if it's built in to the system, I don't think people think of it
as a hack. Now something like Labels X is a hack, because it is an
afterthought, not installed by the Mac system. What defines a hack to
some is simply something that is not installed by the system, but that
alters the system.

> Photoshop is a 'hack', also.

But it's clearly a separate application. So according to you, all
applications are hacks?

> I expect to see a 'transparency' feature in the Dock, at some point.
> maybe once Jobs realizes that the brushed aluminum Finder in Panther
> is a resounding failure and lets the people (at Apple) engineering the
> GUI have a go. Nobody (even the sycophants) likes it.

I hate brushed aluminum and the colored dots in the wrong place. I
loved the design of the Classic windows and the placement of the
buttons and thought that was change for the sake of change only. But I
thought the Dock was already transparent. When another window goes
under it, I can still see it. What is your conception of transparent?

> My original comments, despite the defensive reaction of a few, were
> not 'directed' at anyone. I agree, AND occasionally disagree, with
> everyone, sooner or later. Again, so what? What is it, a package deal
> "love me, love all my opinions!!"?.I hope not.

Nope never. But I am still stumped as to why the seemingly already
transparent Dock is considered a hack.

> My girlfriend is on the verge of buying her first Mac, ever, due to my
> incessant proselytizing on behalf of Apple.

Well isn't that nice! And she has automatic support, how lucky for her.
I've converted a few in my day.

> Apple didn't get where they are by listening to those who agree with
> whatever makes it out the door. They want feedback (and praise, and
> why not), they want developers, and they need to know what is and
> isn't working for us, the users, too.

I agree, but I and others have had many board posts removed by Apple
when we pointed out shortcomings that needed attention...Apple doesn't
seem to like public criticism.