[Ti] 10.2.8 - finger pointing

Justin R. Miller incanus at codesorcery.net
Wed Oct 1 11:55:06 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, October 1, 2003, at 01:48  PM, John McDaniel wrote:

> Apple built it's reputation on "ease of use" and furthered that
> concept with the Automatic Update. Someone's grandmother who just got
> a Mac three months ago and has finally gotten up to speed with email,
> the web, sending/receiving photos, iChat, etc. may well be very
> surprised and upset to find out that her beloved new Mac is seriously
> ailing. Yes, Grandma should have read all of the fine print in the
> manual (oops, I mean help documents) about backup strategies, upgrade
> strategies, etc. but...

Again, if Grandma had left the Software Update preference pane alone
(quite likely), then there is a one in seven chance that her system
would have been checking for updates on the day 10.2.8 was released, it
would have been pulled by the day she did actually check, and far fewer
Grandmas would have even noticed 10.2.8...

No where have I heard Apple recommending that people adjust this
setting to 'daily' or that they check manually repeatedly when a new
update is announced on all of the fan sites -- that seems to be
something that only us folks who rabidly update our systems seem to do.

--Justin