[Ti] 10.2.8

Steve Wozniak steve at woz.org
Thu Oct 2 13:37:45 PDT 2003

At 4:03 PM -0400 2003.10.02, John Griffin wrote:

>Am I the only one who thinks that everyone who had things broken by the
>10.2.8 update should march into the nearest Apple Store with their
>Powerbooks and leave them there with the words: "You broke it, You fix it!"
>
>Why should we have to mess around and waste hours of our valuable time
>trying to get our computers running the way they were with 10.2.6?

Consumer rights are pretty much trampled on these days. You might have a chance in small claims court. This one guy had a few bad pixels and went to small claims court and won $5000 from Apple. The display was within the Apple specification but that specification wasn't public. In your case, you probably had a reasonable expectation that major problems would not be the outcome.

But in your case, it's not worth much. I'm sure that Apple will have fixes for the bugs that were caused, soon. That's not too difficult for customers to install. An apology is what you'd need on the personal level, but companies rarely do that in such cases.

How Apple handles this will make them appear as, or not as, Microsoft.

There used to be a much more extensive testing department within Apple that could halt shipment of bad product. But that was disbanded. I'm pretty sure they would have prevented this problem from getting out, but you can never be sure.

I don't know if the reason for the bad update has been publicized but what I've heard is fairly atrocious.
--

Regards,

Steve  (is tv wake zone?)