[Ti] 10.2.8

Henry Kalir kalirhe at umdnj.edu
Fri Oct 3 11:42:12 PDT 2003

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003, Tarik wrote:

> On Friday, October 3, 2003, at 02:59  am, Henry Kalir wrote:
>
> > John,
> >
> > NO, you are NOT the only one who thinks Apple is responsible.
>
> Hi ti-listers,
>
> I don't want to get too involved in this long thread other than to
> offer the reality that software companies sell software that is rarely
> perfect. In fact, the further you go away from mission critical systems
> like defence and banking, and closer to "consumer" systems, the more
> imperfect the systems are.

<<<snipped>>>

> If a salesman came to your door offering a brand new lock that they
> would install for nothing that had significant technical advantages,
> would you sign up?

Tarik,

Not quite analogous to the situation here: Apple did not offer us a brand
new lock for nothing - we all BOUGHT OS 10.2.0

The 10.2.8 is a direct product from the company **selling** us that
original OS 10.2.0 and telling us, at that time, that upgrades would be
forthcoming AND that they would be easy to automatically get through the
Software Update Program.

NOW...back to YOUR analogy: If you had PURCHASED a new lock, and sometime
later - that SAME lock  **manufacturer** (whose product you had trusted
enough in the first place to guard your house for you) had offered you an
improvement (as someone who had already PURCHASED his product)...and upon
allowing that "improvement" to be made you found yourself locked out of
your house ...would you still be so "umderstanding"...especially if you
learn that this is something which has also been happening to others?

Best,

Henry