Os9 cursor is rebounding

Simon Chapman sc at pr100.com
Sat Oct 4 02:25:43 PDT 2003

Many apologies listmates for asking a question which is not only nothing to
do with 10.2.8 but not much to do with OsX either. My partner's TiBook 667
only has Os 9.2.2 installed and she is usually beautiful and trouble-free
(much like the Os). But lately she has been complaining of a rebounding
cursor. If she tries to move the cursor more than an inch or two, it won't
travel beyond an invisible boundary line and merely rebounds to its
original position. Sometimes it cures itself after 5 minutes and other
times she has to resort to a restart to fix it... although it can come
back. Sometimes it doesn't happen at all.

She has no devices plugged in apart from a Swann OptiGlow mouse (not the
culprit as problem occurs with other mice too). She is on a wireless LAN
and this issue might have first appeared when we first enabled USB Printer
Sharing but I haven't been able to troubleshoot yet. Software-wise, she
only runs Office 2001 and a couple of others so there is very little third
party software on her machine - although she is using USB Overdrive 1.3.7
which I have found to be problem-free on other machines.

Diagnostics report that her drive is error-free and the system is cleanly
reinstalled. However, one other oddity may be a clue. Sometimes when
booting up, the spinning cursor displays not as the Os9 black&white
beachball but as the OsX multi-coloured pizza. How can that be? OsX was
previously installed on her PB but has been dumped. Does it leave its
cursor behind in a secret place? TIA.

Simon