[Ti] YOU MUST HOLD THE POWER BUTTON DOWN and AEBS Printer

Jesse Brown jesse.brown at mac.com
Sat Oct 4 05:59:32 PDT 2003

On 10/3/03 23:27, "mburke6225 at aol.com" <mburke6225 at aol.com> wrote:

> tlanden at mac.com said:  "Lesson learned ... I guess I will not perform any more
> upgrades!!!"

Oh that's a great attitude.

> Much earlier in the day Woz commented, " nobody waited a few hours to be
> safe?"
>
> This list is fertile ground for a fairy tale author.  It's like "The Emperors
> New Clothes" of computers posts.  Listers cut themselves on the bleeding edge
> of Mac operating systems, and I mean we seem to push each other out of the way
> to be the first to jump on the razors edge just as soon as it shows it's
> steel, then we bitch about falling on our sword.  Then all the rest of us on
> this list have to listen to the horror stories over and over again like some
> form of OS X primal scream therapy.  Hysterical.

Wow, talk about mixing some metaphors  :-)

> Ever hear this definition of insanity?  Insanity is when you keep doing the
> same thing over and over again expecting different results.

I thought that was stupidity. In this case, same difference I guess.

 >LOL  I agree with
> Woz, next time we should all wait a few hours to be safe.  But did I want to
> take this opportunity to thank all the Beta Testers on the list for running
> the gauntlet.  Better you than me, I guess.

It's part of my job to be the first one to try things out. In 20 years of
experience using MacOS professionally I have never lost important data
because I installed a new OS or update.

Functionality has been affected and this is not the first OS update or
upgrade that's caused problems. I personally saw zero effects from updating
my 1 GHz PB G4 and I jumped on it within minutes of it's release.

The bottom line to this "Lesson Learned" episode is that if you make your
living using your computer then you should be "very conservative" regarding
any changes. If it ain't broke don't fix it. This goes for any brand, MacOS
or otherwise.

If you're a geek or adventurous then go for it but be prepared to experience
glitches. And hold the hysterical ranting about Apple's nefarious corporate
behavior.

--
Jesse

"Life is hard. It's even harder if you're stupid." -- John Wayne