[Ti] YOU MUST HOLD THE POWER BUTTON DOWN and AEBS Printer

John Pariseau simplymail at ururk.com
Sat Oct 4 18:23:57 PDT 2003

> I did the original upgrade and thought everything was well.
> Yesterday I was in the middle of working on a client's problem and a
> message popped up on the screen ... YOU MUST HOLD THE POWER BUTTON
> DOWN TO SHUT YOUR COMPUTER OFF.... It was in about four different
> languages... Anybody else receive this message ...  I think this is
> the second time this occurred, because the first time the screen was
> blank and I could not make the computer come back to life without
> holding the power button down (it was about 3 am when I woke up after
> I fell asleep waiting for some processes to finish).

Unless someone else explained this more throughly, here goes...

and from that:

"A kernel panic is a type of error that occurs when the core (kernel)
of an operating system receives an instruction in an unexpected format,
or that it fails to handle properly. A kernel panic may also follow
when the operating system is not able to recover from a different type
of error. A kernel panic can be caused by damaged or incompatible
software or, more rarely, damaged or incompatible hardware."

For instance, yesterday I was setting up a 1.25 15" AL, unplugged a
wireless USB MS mouse (never loaded the Intellipoint software), and it
had a kernel panic. I have had *maybe* 6 kernel panics in the entirety
of owning my PB 550 (hmm, 2 years? not bad). I have had two or three
where I put my machine to sleep - and it doesn't go to sleep. I'll lift
the lid, hold it to a light, and see the message on my unlit LCD. Not
to get sidelined, this happens far less often than say, the Win 95-XP
blue screen of death.

Check that your USB mouse and/or other peripherals don't have a problem
with 10.2.8 (ie, check message boards, both at apple.com and the mfg of
any external devices you use). Also see if there are any updates to the
drivers. One helpful place is www.versiontracker.com