What an ordeal

RRSounds at aol.com RRSounds at aol.com
Wed Oct 8 05:57:06 PDT 2003

Yesterday morning, my Titanium 800/combo drive would not boot into OSX. It wouldn't boot at all...

Luckily, I brought my new copy of DiskWarrior on the road with me (I'm in New York for a presentation later this week). It found a load of messed up directory entries, and after about a half hour, allowed me to boot into OS 9.
I thought a stroll to the Apple store in Soho was in order to get me straight.

It did, mostly.

Thanks to Phil at the Genius bar, (and a purchase of an external firewire drive) I was able to salvage my files before wiping my drive and reinstalling OSX.

Almost everything went OK eventually (OSX wouldn't install onto the laptop's drive without re-initializing it).

But when we tried to add in OS9, the DVD would not allow it. The installer claimed that the disc was not the right one for my computer.

Damned if my new pal Phil didn't try five different installation discs for various computers, none of which allowed me to put in OS9. We spent hours (admittedly, mostly moving my 40+ gigs of data back and forth), with no ultimate solution.

I now recall this exact same problem with my own installation discs, when I tried to reinstall OS9 after initializing my drive right after I bought the Titanium. And I had to go to an Apple store to solve it before, but we couldn't find the 'magic' disc that would give me OS9.

So, for the moment I have no OS9 and no Classic environment. Which is not a fatal situation, but inconvenient, as I do have need for a few older programs that I can't access.

There must be some explanation for this.
Any other Titanium users ever encounter this, and more important, ever find a solution?

David Reaves

PS: This list doesn't accept email sent directly from AOL for OSX. What gives? I have to use a web browser and send from AOL's website. I can't seem to figure out how to get AOL to send "text only".