[Ti] Panther release date announced!

Michael Bigley wakinyan at fuse.net
Wed Oct 8 09:40:55 PDT 2003

>So, if Panther was all set to roar on Oct. 24th, why did Apple even bother
>to release 10.2.8? It just doesn't make sense to me, especially after all
>the problems with the first release.
>
>I'll stick with 10.2.6 until October 24th, thank you.

Apple knows they still have people running x.1; with Panther they
will have 3 versions of their modern OS installed on computers. This
is nightmarish in itself, and it is my guess that with the release of
10.2.7 on G5s they didn't want to further muddy the waters with, in
essence, 2 versions of Jaguar in the field. By offering Jag.8, they
at least have parity among all Jag users.  IOW, if you have Apple
Care and call tech support, they can tell you to update to Jag.8
before they address issues and still be within the confines of the
agreement, as it is a no-cost upgrade. While they can tell you to
upgrade to Panther to improve performance, they can't tell you to
make a paid upgrade to fix a problem, unless they provide you that
upgrade for free (under terms of your Apple Care agreement).

So while improvements may be marginal, Jag.8 is a big CYA upgrade for
Apple. It is also a pretty safe bet that this is the last software
update will will ever see in Jag.
--
       http://www.norbertrunning.com