[Ti] AOL only does HTML

David DelMonte ddelmonte at mac.com
Fri Oct 10 12:15:31 PDT 2003

Without prolonging the fighting here but along the lines that Woz and
Fred have written, I too help people to use technology. For very old
people - one client is 87, AOL is all they can handle. In the case of
the 87 year old, she  turns on her old powerbook, and after it boots,
it starts AOL automatically. Her login screen appears and she presses
enter to sign in. Believe me, just that activity is enough for some
people. I cover the costs of their accounts - as well as my college kid
who also uses AOL it's cheaper for me than providing him with ISP
costs. I can update their systems when needed. It also lets me
troubleshoot their account - and protect them from smut and from spam.

It sure isnt my own client of choice, but it does serve a  role for
those who really are not into technology, those who just want to read
email and occasionally surf.

I really didnt want to start - or continue - any kind of flame - or
discussion, about how I could do things better. I wanted to point out
that AOL works and is simple for me to administer and for my clients to
operate.

David