[Ti] Disappearing AirPort network

Kynan Shook kynan at cs.wisc.edu
Mon Oct 13 10:12:11 PDT 2003

I had a similar problem (but not quite the same) when I was first
setting up my 17" too, Steve, although mine was somewhat worse in some
sense.  I just usually couldn't join the network, although I could
always see it.  The WAP was a graphite Airport base station, and a 500
MHz iBook connected to it just fine.  However, it would always tell me
"an error occurred while attempting to join the wireless network," or
something along those lines.  I couldn't even administer the base
station, and even having the computer right next to the base station
didn't help.  What finally allowed me to get it working was to change
various channel and interference robustness settings; Sometimes just
enabling interference robustness on the laptop, or just on the base
station, or both would make a difference.  Also, changing channels,
sometimes by only one or two channels, would help.  The effects of the
interference varied for me; sometimes I couldn't join at all, sometimes
I could join but the connection didn't always work, sometimes I could
join and the connection would work, but the Airport status (as reported
in Internet Connect) would never show up.  At this point, I have had my
setup working perfectly for several months now in my current location.

Anyway, this is different enough that it's likely not the same issue at
hand; my Airport has been working fine for me everywhere I go, and I'm
a certifiable wireless network whore with my PowerBook.  But maybe it
will help somebody out there.

Honestly, if you have to restart your computer more often than once
every two weeks or so (when running OS X; OS 9 is a much different
story), I think there is something wrong with your computer.  Whether
it's a corrupted OS, bad hardware (third party RAM is VERY likely a
culprit), or poorly written applications or kernel extensions, well,
you may never find out.  Intermittent problems are almost impossible to
track down.  But my iBook has been running now for 160 days without
being restarted.  My main computer isn't quite so stable, between
running Panther betas and doing various other less-than-kosher things
that are known to lock up computers.  Even so, I'll often have uptimes
around 2 weeks to a month, until one application freezes everything.
If you have the time and the patience, you might be able to track down
the issues.  Most people instead decide to just live with the
inconvenience of restarting periodically, however.

Steve Wozniak <steve at woz.org>