IBM(Hitachi) 7K60

John Pariseau simplymail at ururk.com
Mon Oct 13 10:58:40 PDT 2003

Thinking about ordering one of these for my PB G4 550, I figure I can
use the current 20 gig in an external case, and if I decide to sell my
PB, I can swap drives, selling the PB with the stock 20 gig.

Specs:

60 GB
7200 rpm
5.5W max (from xlr8yourmac, supposedly this is on startup mainly),
Read, Write, (Avg) 2.5W
Seek 2.6W

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/IDE/hitachi_travelstar60GB_7200/
travelstar60GB_7200rpm.html#storytop

I do work in Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, and want to be able to use
VPC 5 w/out having to lug my external around anymore, hence the 60 GB
drive. My puny (ha!) 20 GB drive is, well, not big enough, and I want
to do a clean install of Panther - hence getting a new drive, starting
with a clean slate, etc...

Should I just go with a "cheaper" 5400 rpm, or will the 7200 rpm feel
faster? I could go with an 80 gig, but don't mind up losing space for a
faster drive.

Thanks!

John