[Ti] sound-line in

T Molnar tam at em.ca
Fri Oct 17 23:01:21 PDT 2003

Gerry, Barry...
thanks for the explanation and confirmation. I thought it was something
like that.
So I need to get an external A/D converter like the Griffin Imic ?

This brings up the problem of needing 3 usb ports then since the Imic
will take up one usb port I still need two available.
.
I guess I would have to buy some type of usb hub so i can have more than
2 usb ports.

Any one have suggestions on usb work arounds so I can run 2 usb
ports off one in my tibook while using the other usb port for the
Griffin Imic?

thanks again for your help.
cheers
tim

On Friday, October 17, 2003, at 08:06  PM, Jerry Krinock wrote:

> on 03/10/17 15:37, T Molnar at tam at em.ca wrote:
>
> I bought my tibook used without a manual, but since no one replied
> I'll give
> this a shot.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong....
>
> In the audio business, there is "mic level", which is very low, several
> millivolts, and "line level", which is much higher, several hundred
> millivolts.  I believe that the line input on a to bit is "line level",
> which means it won't work with your microphone.  It's also a
> 3-conductor
> stereo jack, which your mic is probably 2-conductor monaural.
>
> You need a preamplifier to boost up the level etc., or more
> practically, an
> external A/D converter which will handle either mic or line level,
> such as
> the Griffin iMic (which is not a microphone, but that's another
> issue).  It
> has a switch on it to select "mic level" or "line level".

> Need help from a real person? Try.

> Mac ISP
> http://macinternetaccess.com

tim.molnar