Sound-Line In

George Rothrock grafzepp at mac.com
Mon Oct 20 09:02:15 PDT 2003

Tim,
hi, just wanted to share some expierience with this issue.  I was
dissapointed that the first TiPBs didn't have audio in. I upgraded my
PB as soon as Apple released a model with an audio in. However, every
audiophile I know pointed out that, actually, you get better results
when the audio circuitry is seperate from the rest of the hardware,
like in an external capture solution.  The input on the back is an "AV"
connector and you should search the Apple Knowledgebase for the ins &
outs of it.  ;)
I have the Griffin iMic and recently bought the Griffin Powerwave.  I
had success with both products for their intended purpose, meaning, I
used them to attach my tape deck and phono in order to import OTR tapes
and LPs.
I then tried to set up a decent (although budget minded) solution for
doing vocal recording.  I bought Deck LE at my local Apple store and
used the Powerwave.  (one advantage the Powerwave has over the iMic is
the play-thru feature, meaning, you can hear yourself in headphones
while recording).
Here are the issues I have run into:
a) the mini-pin jacks for both the headphones and mic input on the
Griffin products were a bit unsatisfactory, requiring jiggling and
fussy handling to get both channels to be responsive.
b) if you are using a microphone that requires/uses phantom power the
signals (even on mic level) were off, resultling in a very distorted
signal.

If you use a decent mic (now powered), go ahead and use the iMic, just
plug it in and use it, un-plug it when you're done, I wouldn't worry
about a hub and all that.  It is too easy to just hot-swap.  Your big
concern will be the software.

If you are more serious, or have other uses for it, check out the
Powerwave.

I decided that for the level I wanted (near professional and
profeessional vocie-over, audio drama) to go with the Digidesign MBox
(w/ Pro Tools LE) and a professioanl level microphone.

If you have any questions, email me off list.  Best of luck!

grafzepp at mac.com
TiPb 1ghz  1gram 30ghd
SpDr  AP  10.2.8