[Ti] bad luck with power adapter

Kynan Shook kynan at cs.wisc.edu
Wed Oct 22 08:13:49 PDT 2003

Move your PowerBook to a different electrical circuit.  You're probably
on the same circuit as something like a refrigerator (or power tools,
or anything else that has a very large power draw when it first turns
on).  What happens is the refrigerator will draw so much power that the
voltage on the line drops, and then your power adapter will shut itself
off to prevent damaging the computer.  The best solution is to use a
different outlet.  Another option is to unplug the power adapter from
the wall every time it happens to regain the power.  Installing a line
conditioner or possibly a UPS that will boost the voltage to compensate
for the refrigerator should also work.  If you want to try that, I'd
recommend APC as one of the better manufacturers; go to www.apcc.com
and look for their Line-R conditioner.

The sparks are normal; probably just a capacitor or something that
still has a charge, or at least has a charge relative to whatever phase
the AC is in at the instant it's plugged in.  They happen on pretty
much every power adapter I've seen.  It's usually recommended that you
plug the power adapter into the wall before plugging it into the
computer, though I've never heard of any damage being done by
performing those actions in reverse.
HTH,