[Ti] [OT] Panther questions

gkar at mac gkar at mac.com
Sat Oct 25 14:06:29 PDT 2003

On 10/25/03 3:31 PM, "Michael Bigley" <wakinyan at fuse.net> wrote:

>>> I'd like someone to comment on how good the new Mail, and new
>>> Finder are, and if the new iCAl is any different to the recent iCal
>>> update I downloaded.
>
> The new finder definitely has some nice features; however, at the
> release party did some quick run-throughs on a couple of boxen and
> was a little disappointed in that there are still some hitches in
> scrolling on an iMac 1gigahertz g4.  This could have been due to RAM,
> but there was 256mb on this computer.  G5s of course are smokin'
> fast. The only true test will probably be comparing it on my Ti500.
> I am going to wait a while, though, to see what shakes out over the
> next week or so ;-)

The new Finder is very cool and best of all newbies will no longer be
confused by the file selector. It is exactly like the Finder. Given that the
shelf is customizable it is easy to jump to favorite folders.

iCal seems no different than the most recent version but I'm not an iCal
fanatic so there could be hidden differences. I don't use mail because in
Jaguar it didn't play nice with multiple addresses and scripts that move
mail into different folders. Doing that made mail forget which address the
message was sent to. Not good for lists. But I did take a quick gander since
my wife likes mail. It is faster and threaded email is very nice.

Those of us with new Alum PowerBooks have another possible memory hurdle.
There are reports on Apple's discussion site of installation problems with
new PB that have had memory added. Most users (including myself and my boss)
were able to install Panther after removing the upgrade. I've now gone
through 2 different memory upgrades.

One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them
One ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

gkar at mac.com