To Clean Install or Archive first, that is the dilemma

Pedro Vera pedro at veraperez.com
Wed Oct 29 09:45:51 PST 2003

Greetings,

I am purchasing Panther this afternoon and I was almost sold on the
idea of doing archive and install (which I know worked in my Ti Book as
far as the first WDC beta) but now I am having flashbacks from my
Windows years. Back in the day doing an upgrade over a MS OS was a
recipe for disaster, so I conditioned myself to backup files and wipe
the PC before doing the clean install. I trust the archive feature,
what I don't trust is myself: I have too much crap in my Ti 867. I have
an external firewire drive that I use to mirror the Ti book every day,
so I will have full backups. Would it be worth it to force a clean
install, then move from the firewire drive just the documents, the mail
folder and my Safari favorites? This would ditch any preference files
left behind by deleted applications. Only problem is I would still need
to pull my bundled apps from the restore DVD for my Ti book.

Am I wasting my time with the archive and install? Or is it worth it to
let it do a clean install. By the way, I want to get rid of Classic. I
have not run a single OS 9 app in this laptop since the day I purchased
it.

Thanks,

Pedro
-