A word of warning to future Samsung ML-1710 customers

Pedro Vera pedro at veraperez.com
Wed Oct 29 21:20:40 PST 2003

Greetings,

Today I purchased was has to be the cheapest laser printer in the
market, the Samsung ML-1710, $100 after rebates. It took me a bit over
(a frantic) hour to get it to work in Panther so I'll post the work
around here and hopefully this will help somebody else.

1. There are no drivers for Panther (no surprise here).
2. There are no drivers for Jaguar (big surprise here).
3. Follow the instructions in the bottom of this page:
http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/topic/37356-1.html
4. I don't know how it would work in Jaguar, but in Panther I cannot
add a printer from my account, even if I am admin. I suspect a
corrupted preferences file somewhere. It took me 45 miserable minutes
and a few reboots to figure out I should make a new user account and
try from there: From the new user account the driver I had installed
was recognized properly and the printer works just great.
5. After my first 5 minutes trying I grabbed the printer, carried it to
my wife's Dell and had it running in less than 2 minutes, so I knew the
printer and the cable were good.

The printer is really fast and just a tad loud. I am angry because I
had to scour the web for about 45 minutes (and I am going to end up
going late to work tomorrow because of this) but it could have been
worse: I was preparing myself to reinstall Panther!

If it gives me grief tomorrow I have no choice but to move my files to
the new account and wipe that one off.

Pedro
-
http://pedrovera.com