AlBook 15" on order: should I worry?

Gary Mark gmark at cogeco.ca
Thu Oct 30 08:45:39 PST 2003

Reading on O'Grady's Powerpage and many (subsequently deleted by Apple)
discussion forum posts, and most recently the current Macworld review
(3.5 mice), I am getting worried about the 1.25Ghz 15" AlBook that I
have on order.

<http://www.macworld.com/2003/12/reviews/15inchpowerbookg4s/>

The note quality control issues:

"We can't check the vital signs of every computer Apple ships. We can,
however, report on the quality of the PowerBooks we've received, and
that report is not encouraging. Of six 15-inch PowerBooks Macworld
ordered from a non-Apple retailer, three had to be returned. One
repeatedly locked up and experienced kernel panics after being
unplugged from an external monitor, another's fan ran constantly, and
another displayed only the magenta video channel when plugged into an
external display. So if you absolutely must have this PowerBook now, be
prepared for potential problems."

Should I wait for Rev. B??  My TiBook 400 is a Rev. B and I didn't have
any problems whatsoever.

Any thoughts?

Gary