TiG4 - Starting Over!

Frank Wiewandt fwphoto at adelphia.net
Thu Oct 30 14:28:10 PST 2003

Hey All,

Well, I've had my 800MHz TiG4 PB over a year now & I want to start over with it!
I've added a bunch of software & hardware piece by piece & now what to put it
all together in a little different & more efficient way. I've got a few
questions about exactly how to proceed, though. I've never done this before but
I think it's something I should learn how to do correctly.

I went to the Apple site & found this article "Apple Software Restore: How to
Perform a Multiple Disc Restoration" at
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60847 . Since mine came with OS/X
& OS9 installed, I was directed to this article. I *do* want to start over with
a totally clean HD. Sounds pretty simple so ...

Here's a list of the my gear:

Hardware

- The 800MHz TiG4 PowerBook/60GB HD/1GB RAM/Combo Drive
- OWC 80GB FW HD
- 30GB Portable FW HD
- Pioneer DVD-RW in a FW case

Software

- OS/Xv10.2.6 (currently)
- Retrospect Express
- Toast v5

First I want to backup the current HD on one of my FW HDs. How do I do this?
Just copy it to the FW HD? Use Toast? Use one of the Utilities? Other
suggestions?

Once that's done, I just do the Restoration step-by-step like the article says,
right? Upon restarting I want to update the OS to 10.2.8. Will Software Update
do this automatically or are there other steps I need to take?

>From there I just need to re-install my apps, update where neccessary, &
reconfigure my preferences, right? Any files I need will be on the backup,
right? Any suggestions for re-intalling my apps? I want to leave some on the
internal drive but am thinking of moving the others to my portable HD. Thoughts?

I really do want to Start Over!

Sounds reasonably simple. What am I missing? ;-)

TIA,

Frank Wiewandt