[Ti] TiG4 - Starting Over!

Chris Olson chris at astcomm.net
Thu Oct 30 21:07:29 PST 2003

On Oct 30, 2003, at 4:28 PM, Frank Wiewandt wrote:
> First I want to backup the current HD on one of my FW HDs. How do I do
> this? Just copy it to the FW HD? Use Toast? Use one of the Utilities?
> Other suggestions?

If you want a bootable drive, use Carbon Copy Cloner.  Otherwise just
copy it over.

> Once that's done, I just do the Restoration step-by-step like the
> article says, right? Upon restarting I want to update the OS to
> 10.2.8. Will Software Update do this automatically or are there other
> steps I need to take?

Software Update will pick it up and ask you if you want to do it.  It's
not totally automatic.

> From there I just need to re-install my apps, update where neccessary,
> & reconfigure my preferences, right?

Yep.

> Any files I need will be on the backup, right?

Yep.

> Any suggestions for re-intalling my apps?

Just copy your /Applications folder over to the FW drive.  You can
reinstall them by just copying them back.

> I want to leave some on the internal drive but am thinking of moving
> the others to my portable HD. Thoughts?

Are you low on disk space?  If not, I'd put them on the internal drive.
  Why lug an external drive around just to run Photoshop or something,
which might happen to be on the FW drive?

> Sounds reasonably simple. What am I missing? ;-)

It is simple.  I've been there, done it, got the t-shirt.  You aren't
really missing anything.

When you restore, you should have a Software Restore CD that came with
the computer.  That CD will install a disk image on the HD, restoring
it to factory configuration.  Put it in the drive, shut the computer
off, hold the "C" key and turn it back on.  The rest should be self
explanatory - just do what it says on the screen.
--
Chris