[Ti] Panther FireWire debacle

Henry Kalir kalirhe at umdnj.edu
Fri Oct 31 09:36:48 PST 2003

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003, John R McDaniel wrote:

> On Friday, October 31, 2003, at 11:21  AM, Loren Schooley wrote:
>
> > Apple's Panther has a serious bug that wipes out external FireWire
> > drives during the upgrade procedure. Worse, many Mac users are backing
> > up to external drives before upgrading. Some are losing everything.
>
> Wow. Two black eyes in a row.
>
> Did everyone learn something from the 10.2.8 fiasco?
>
> I did. I've got Panther right next to me, but I haven't installed it
> yet. (and still on 10.2.6).
>
> ;)  ;)
>
> j mcd

I did too :-) And I wasn't even affected by 10.2.8 (Beige G3 must be
immune..).

My 2 Ti G4s will continue to run on 10.2.3 and 10.2.6  until Panther stops
mauling. After all - it's been said by people "in the know" that "caveat
emptor" and that - if you upload (or - I guess- buy...) something from
Apple, you do so at your own risk.

Just one thing puzzling me...why this rush to upgrade right away? Is there
ANY program currently on the market that is NOT running under Jaguar? Has
the OS become "the message" (after "the media is the message"), or do we
also use our computers to run applications which allow us to do work etc??

Think about it...how many hours have we lost dealing with stuff like
this?? Whatever happened to the old plug and play of yore?

Best

Henry