[Ti] Mail.app use or abuse?

mac2 mail mac2 at oryx.cc
Thu Sep 4 07:29:14 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, September 3, 2003, at 09:28  AM, cbirds wrote:

> On Tuesday, September 2, 2003, at 05:38  PM, mac2 mail wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday, September 2, 2003, at 09:12  AM, cbirds wrote:
>>
>>>  I also need to configure about 90 more domains into Mail.app, have
>>> 9 now.
>>
>> I am assuming you mean users/user id's, not domains here???
>
> Ahem, no dear,

Wow, after just 2 emails were into terms of endearment.

>  DOMAINS. I have at least one customized email that comes to me from
> each of the domains I manage.

Domains don't receive email, users within those domains receive email.
If you have 1 or 2 user accounts on each domain * 100 domains, can I
assume that you have 100-200 (or 300??) user accounts that you need to
configure in Mail.app, or what ever mail client application that you
ultimately decide on.

>  Then Mail just shuts down.......and won't budge and the accounts
> become greyed out.

I have encountered this situation (temporarily) on a saturated link but
will usually be just 2 or 3 mailboxes.  These will typically go active
again during the next refresh period.  I set my "check for new mail"
setting to 15 minutes.  This works well for me at my home, place of
work and most of the job sites that I visit. With a larger number of
user accounts and/or a slower link to your mail servers, a larger value
may work better for you here.

You may already know this, but you can click on/highlight an offline
mailbox and then from the Mail.app menubar click on Mailbox --> take
"your user account" online if you can not wait till the next refresh
period.  This is my worst case example.  Does Mail.app completely lock
up where you have to kill it off, or does it just need time to sync
with the server?

>> I have 83 user configured across 3 different servers.  My slowest
>> site connection (of all the places that I visit with my powerbook) is
>> a 128K ISDN link.  When I start Mail.app up cold from that site, I
>> have to leave it alone for 5 to 10 minutes to let everything get
>> sync'ed up.  After that, Mail.app works fine.  By stating "leave it
>> alone", I mean put Mail.app in the background and work on something
>> else.  At other sites with better bandwidth or at home with my cable
>> modem, it is almost instantious<sp>.
>
> I think Comcast was having a problem with sending/receiving mail last
> night and even if I waited an hour, I could not send mail and go the
> "too many connections" error. Other times it would not send, would
> just go in the outbox, and there would be NO error message.

I use Comcast cable in my home and have only had it for ~3 months.
Prior to that I was running everything through a Cisco 2503 router over
ISDN.  So far my Comcast experiences have been good, but I know others
in the city where I live that have not had the best of experiences.

>> Maybe you have a keychain problem??  Have you ran any diags against
>> it?  There was a good article about a week ago on
>> http://www.macosxhints.com with password problems.  Here is the
>> specific url:
>>
>> http://www.macosxhints.com/
>> article.php?story=2003082822315680&mode=print
>>
>> Hope that this helps.
>
> I nuked Keychain long ago. Each time I update or install, it puts me
> back in keychain but I just nuked it again. (Remove all stuff from it)
> It's bothersome because I am the sole user of all the computers in
> here and it slows me down.

Sorry that didn't work.  It was worth a try. :)

>> I have written PHP stuff for web services, and I have FTP'ed files
>> between systems, but I don't understand how you are trying to relate
>> this to Mail.app.  Can you please explain this further??
>
> Because those functions reside on X machine but my favorite mail
> program does not. So I have to suffer with this lame mail.app which I
> wish they would make more like Emailer was. And text only! I mean,
> what's with these blank things in the mail message? Or sometimes NOT
> blank? Weird.

I'm sorry that I continue to mis-understand your statements in this
area again, but please explain "blank things in the email message"?

>> I would also add again that all my user accounts are configured for
>> IMAP over SSL and I do full message caching.  The caching may be what
>> is saving me and keeping my configuration usable?
>>
> I just want it to do plain text email, reliably!
> Hopefully this was all Comcast's fault and not mail.app and that
> mail.app displayed that message because the mail was rejected from the
> server and it did not know what else to report it as, the 1/3 of the
> time it gave me an error.

Aside from my above statements about IMAP and full message caching,
plain text is also what I strive for and is all that I send out

> Time will tell.

I don't think that this email provided any help to you, it was just

Can you give us specifics about your environment that might (or might
not) nail your issues down to Mail.app, i.e. such as "I used to manage
150 user accounts on my PowerMac 8600/200 with Emailer in MacOS but now
I can't do this on my TI1000 with Mail.app".   Also, are your user
accounts configured to do POP3, IMAP, IMAP over SSL, something in
between?  If you are doing some type of IMAP, are you doing any type of
caching, i.e. messages only, messages + attachments, nothing?????

Wishing you the best of luck in your quest,

Jerry K