[Ti] Furthermore this is more Comcast BS

Chris Olson chris at astcomm.net
Thu Sep 4 18:19:12 PDT 2003

On Thursday, September 4, 2003, at 04:17 PM, CBIRDS wrote:
> A: We are not addressing the specific numbers, rather the impact that
> unusually heavy message traffic can have on our service as a whole.
>
> Furthermore, traffic of this magnitude is usually indicative of
> "Spam", a
> mass-mailing virus, or other such unwanted e-mail."
> -end-
>
> Again I say, bullwhacky.

Set up your own SMTP server and bypass your ISP for outgoing email.
Spammers on broadband do it all the time.  I do it here because I don't
like the long wait when I send somebody a large email - I got 1.0 Mbps
download but only 256K upload, so I dump my outgoing mail on my own
server and let that box deal with it.  I use qmail on NetBSD, but you
could use qmail or sendmail or whatever you're comfy with on OS X too.
Chances are they block port 25 for incoming, but outgoing port 25
traffic should work.  All you have to do is give your server the same
DNS name as your ISP's outgoing SMTP server and any bounces will come
back to you anyway thru your ISP's server.  In three years I've only
run into a couple or three remote smtp servers that did a reverse DNS
lookup before accepting delivery and therefore wouldn't accept mail
from my server.
--
Chris