[Ti] English & French word Counts

Bill Palmer whpalmer4 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 5 16:26:45 PDT 2003

b wrote:

> Webster's Third New International Dictionary, Unabridged checks in
> with 450,000 words. That's a lot.
>
> Meanwhile, Harper Collins Robert French Unabridged dictionary weighs
> in with definitions for a little over 820,000 words.

Actually, it has "over 850,000 entries and translations" - it's a
French-English/English-French dictionary, and by my reading of the table
of contents, slightly more than half of the pages are devoted to the
English-French section.  Looking at the sample pages on Amazon.com, and
assuming words are distributed relatively uniformly over the 1000 pages
each half of the dictionary occupies, we need to see about 400 entries
per page.  The only way I see that as possible is if each different
usage is counted as a different entry.  Perhaps that's the standard way
to count dictionary entries, but without confirmation that everyone is
counting the same way (and see below for some illustration of why that
is problematic), it isn't convincing as a means of comparison for which
dictionary has more items, much less which language has more words.

> Moral: if you're going to be an ethno, or geo-centric gringo, get yer
> friggin' facts straight.

One guy's fact is another guy's opinion.  It's pretty difficult to get a
consistent basis for comparison between two languages, especially with
languages where there is no official body acting as arbiter of what is
and is not part of the language.

However, the "ethno, or geo-centric gringos" at the Oxford University
Press have the following to say on the question at hand:

http://www.askoxford.com/asktheexperts/faq/aboutenglish/mostwords

    Is it true that English has the most words of any language?

This question is practically impossible to answer, for the reasons set
out in the answer to How many words are there in the English language?
<http://www.askoxford.com/asktheexperts/faq/aboutwords/numberwords>
However, it seems quite probable that English has more words than most
comparable world languages. The reason for this is historical. English
was originally a Germanic language, related to Dutch and German, and it
shares much of its grammar and basic vocabulary with those languages.
However, after the Norman Conquest in 1066 it was hugely influenced by
Norman French, which became the language of the ruling class for a
considerable period, and by Latin, which was the language of scholarship
and of the Church. Very large numbers of French and Latin words entered
the language. Consequently, English has a much larger vocabulary than
either the Germanic languages or the members of the Romance language
family to which French belongs. English is also very ready to
accommodate foreign words, and as it has become an international
language, it has absorbed vocabulary from a large number of other
sources. This does, of course, assume that you ignore `agglutinative'
languages such as Finnish, in which words can be stuck together in long
strings of indefinite length, and which therefore have an almost
infinite number of `words'.