[Ti] Can receive but not send on Airport and Ethernet network

Steve Wozniak steve at woz.org
Sat Sep 6 11:15:16 PDT 2003

At 11:04 AM -0400 2003.09.06, Tom Klinkowstein wrote:
>I can receive messages using Airport in OSX 10.2.3 but not send.
>
>Same things happens on a wired Ethernet network.
>
>Anyone know what settings have to be changed?

What email 'program' are you using?

There is a setting for "Outgoing Mail Server" in the "Internet" System Preference. Your particular email program may have it's own setting for this. The Outgoing Mail Server is also referred to as the SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol) server.

In some cases the SMTP server is the same as the POP (incoming mail) server. In some cases these may be the same as the part of your email address after the 'at' symbol. But there's no guarantee of this.

Your email provider tells you what to use as your POP server but in some cases your ISP will tell you which SMTP server you have to use to send mail. This is done to limit spam and for other reasons. For example, I use woz.org as my SMTP server from most places, but when I travel and dial EarthLink I must use their SMTP server, smtp.earthlink.net, to send mail, which is annoying. The key is that one SMTP setting doesn't work everywhere.

Beyond these basics, you're dealing with router setups, which cannot usually be relied on due to the complexity of their setups and the casual unprofessional attitude of most system admins. In such cases you must deal with your ISP, which is rarely easy.
--

Regards,

Steve  (is tv wake zone?)