External USB keyboard thoughts

Erik Gaderlund gaderson at mac.com
Mon Sep 8 01:30:13 PDT 2003

So, I use my TiBook thorough my 22" Cinema Display, at home, and have
been searching for a USB keyboard.  I borrowed a 'stealth' keyboard
from a friend that was cool because there were no markings on the
keys-keeps non-touch typists off my Mac, but, the action was
terrible, keys not working or repeating.  So, I looked for others.  I
have several ADB Extended II keyboards, and I love them, but, each is
slightly different.  Which lead me to the Macally iceKey.  It has the
'scissor action' that our Powerbooks do so I though that would be
less of a switch for me.  I found them for $39.99 at Fry's and put it
beside a new Extended keyboard on a G5, and went back and forth.
And...
I did like the action of the new Extended $49.99 (rather solid and
somewhat reminiscent of the Extended II), but, you were stuck with
the angle of the keyboard, and had no adjustments.  And I'm not sure
how the curve of the keyboard would work.
The iceKey had good, more spring but not quite as solid action-well I
do like my Tibook's keyboard, and it was adjustable, or at least
further that the USB Extended.  And, it was flat that helps for my
hands-above the-keyboard style.
So, the $10 buck difference, and no adjustment did it for me.  Other
thoughts? I do still wish they at least had a power button!!  Yes, I
can use the monitor, but, old habits die hard.

erik g