[Ti] Al PB 17" - Would not Restart- Strange Behavior

Peter Krug pkrug at mac.com
Tue Sep 9 09:58:58 PDT 2003

>This morning I closed the cover of my Al PB 17" while it was
>running, and took it to another room.  There I opened it and it
>would not come back on no matter what I did. Just had a black
>screen. I tried hitting some keys, pressed the power button, held
>down the power button for a while, but nothing would get the Mac to
>turn on.
>  About an hour later, I tried to turn it on again by pressing the
>power button and it started just fine.  This is a real mystery to me.
>Is there any reason for any of this and what is going on?
>--

I assume that the battery was charged?  If not, did you plug the
power back in during the hour downtime?  What did the battery
indicator on the battery indicate the charge was?  Was the battery
loose?

Otherwise,  the proper sequence of events to shut down the powerbook
is to first hold the power button down for 5-10 sec.  Then press the
power button once.  If you did this in reverse, you may have done
nothing when you pressed it once, then shut it down when you held it
down for a while.  Then an hour later, you pressed the button to turn
it on and it came on.

Next time this happens, hold the powerbook screen up to a light
source and see if the Kernel Panic screen is there but the screen
brightness is off.  You may have had a panic on wake, the screen did
not wake up and brighten, and that's why the computer never woke up.

Hope this helps,

Peter
--
A little computer haiku:
I can't remember

This message sent with Eudora 6.0b31 on Mac OS X 10.2.6