[Ti] OT Durability of DVDs

Greg Markle MarkleG at kleerdex.com
Wed Sep 10 08:31:28 PDT 2003

It seems that the same general misconception that occurred between the longevity mass-produced CDs and recordable CDs is popping up now that DVD recordables are gaining popularity.  What you need to remember also is that a DVD produced in a factory press is going to last MUCH longer than a recordable DVD.  A production DVD, a mass-produced movie or data DVD, is made by pressing the image into polycarbonate whereas a recorded DVD is made by creating the image of "pits" in a dye layer.  It's the deterioration of the dye layer which is the huge problem and that isn't a problem in a pressed disc.  That is not to say that pressed DVD's are eternal but they will last much longer than a recordable under similar storage conditions.

Gregory Markle, Color Technician
Kleerdex Company - http://www.kydex.com/