[Ti] OT Durability of DVDs

William Scammell wscamel at pop.ici.net
Thu Sep 11 04:19:10 PDT 2003

At 8:42 PM -0400 2003-09-10, Michael Bigley wrote:
>I once left a floppy in my shirt pocket; it went through the washer
>and dryer. The metal "protector" broke off, but I stuck the thing in
>my Mac IIci and copied the data off with no problem (Don't try this
>at home, haha). I have been contemplating putting the hundreds of
>floppies I have onto a couple of CDs, but guess that wouldn't be
>worth the time, eh? Do hard drives degrade without use?  They are so
>cheap now, perhaps a hot swap device would be the best bet on long
>term storage???

it would save a lot of physical storage space to ditch the floppies though.

30-50 floppies probably takes up as much physical space as a FW back
up drive, and drives, as you noted, are small money (try dealmac.com).

just a thought.

William Scammell                     Creative Director
wscamel @ pop.ici.net                  781-956-3548

http://www.idesignofboston.com provides
graphic, advertising, and web site design services.