[Ti] OT Durability of DVDs

William Scammell wscamel at pop.ici.net
Thu Sep 11 09:09:41 PDT 2003

[snip]
>Anyway, even a hard drive will eventually go bad.  You might get a
>little more time out of it if it's not plugged in, but even so it
>will eventually die, and if the controller on the drive dies 3 years
>from now and you don't find out about it for 15 more, it might be
>hard to find a new controller card to swap in to try and resurrect
>the drive.  Somebody else had the best idea; keep multiple
>generations of backups if your data is that important.  I would also
>recommend using several different types of storage media; maybe MO,
>for example.  And, of course, you should keep backups in multiple
>locations.

multiple locations -- that's a good point. i neglected to mention
that i keep the redundant HDD in a fire-proof box.

William Scammell                     Creative Director
wscamel @ pop.ici.net                  781-956-3548

http://www.idesignofboston.com provides
graphic, advertising, and web site design services.