[Ti] New 15" 1.25 GHz PowerBook

Greg Chapel gchapel at worldnet.att.net
Thu Sep 18 08:08:29 PDT 2003

Is anyone else a little distressed by these posted Benchmark tests?

To me they point out just how disappointing the performance of the Apple Pro
Laptop has sunk when compared to the competition.

The last three tests are frame rate and OpenGL benchmarks which primarily
focus on the graphics card in the machine. And since we don't know what
graphics card is in the Centrino laptop (probably a low-end intel graphics
subsystem since this is a low-end Centrino), we can ignore the last few
benchmarks. But the first two, including the Photoshop test almost directly
measure the CPU processing power.

The low-end 1.3 Ghz Centrino laptop, outperformed the best, high-end pro
Apple laptop!

Considering that the Centrino line of hardware incorporates the low power
Pentium-M,only disipates 25 watts @ 1.3 Ghz, that it is now available with
clock speeds above 1.7 Ghz,and that it is cheaper than the G4 7547, I would
say all in all that these tests are really disappointing.

I think it just points out how much Apple needs to incorporate those IBM 64
bit G5 processors across the entire Apple Pro-line.

Greg