Fwd: [Ti] The Benchmarks - Question about G5 portable

A.J.Bos Arjan.Bos at icu.nl
Fri Sep 19 15:26:08 PDT 2003

On vrijdag, sep 19, 2003, at 23:13 Europe/Amsterdam, b wrote:

> John Griffin paused, thought it over, and spoke thusly:
>
>> What I want to know is: Does anyone have any information about
>> whether a G5
>> Mobile processor is in the works. I have done several different
>> searches and
>> have come up empty on this.
>
> One of the things that might keep Apple from popping a G5 into a
> laptop, right away, might be that they would rather keep the wattage
> in a comfortable range.

<snip/>

> That could easily result in a G5-based machine that was only
> marginally faster, on paper, than the already-popular G4 books. Not
> such a wise move, considering they're 'lucky', in a way, that IBM is
> cutting them in on the G5 action, anyway. Remember IBM is going to be
> using what they must hope are huge numbers of G5s to run servers and
> whatnot. If the IBM G5, scalable, Linux-running, server takes off,
> well, the plant over there in Fishkill (or wherever) is going to be in
> overdrive.

Exactly, one of the other things that might keep Apple from making a G5
laptop are the yields of the IBM plant. IIRC, that plant has to produce
chips not only for Apple, but also for the AS400, the AIX machines and
their mainframes. And if |'m not mistaken, that plant had some power
outage recently.

-- Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a sick mind -- (Terry
Pratchett)