[Ti] Fwd: [Ti] The Benchmarks - Question about G5 portable

b fl1pper at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 19 18:51:48 PDT 2003

John Griffin paused, thought it over, and spoke thusly:

>Thanks guys. Hey, it is a real pleasure to be able to get knowledgeable
>answers like this from people who really know what they are talking about.
>
>So, a dual G3 with Altivec... Sounds great! I can't wait!
>
>jg

Heheh,

Uh, John,

Speaking only for myself, certain things are factual, i.e. heat,
power consumed, etc. However the notion of twin G3-type (IBM G4)
chips in an Apple laptop, is more notion than fact.

I put that idea forward because others have also discussed it, based
on the fact that IBM does have the so-called G3 w/Altivec (which
wasn't used by Apple, who went for the Motorolas, instead).  The fact
that the dual-G3 would be a screamer in an Apple PowerBook, is, well,
a fact. <laughs> But whether it will actually happen or not, is
speculation on my part. (and the part of other more knowledgeable
folk than myself).

Another fact to consider is that IBM is working on some radical stuff
over there, and they seem to have a good rapport with Apple
engineers, also. So....it's a fair bet that Apple (and all of us)
will be the beneficiaries of whatever IBM and Apple can come up with.
I'd be willing to bet on the dual G3, because it makes a ton of
sense, but again, I wouldn't hold my breath on it, or assume that
something even more aggressive wasn't going to come out first.

~flipper

P.S. I  can't wait, either... but for what exactly, well, who knows?