viruses/Mail.app defaults

Les Posen lesposen at optushome.com.au
Sat Sep 20 18:15:46 PDT 2003

On Sunday, September 21, 2003, at 06:36  AM, PowerBook G4 Titanium List
wrote:

> Me too, I get roughly 50 to 60 a day of them, each 144kb or 156kb
> large. On a dialup link, that's not funny anymore. My providers says
> it's my own fault, since I gave away my email address and they won't do
> a thing about it. :-(
> Well, it might just be the time to switch providers...
>
> I also noticed that I now get spam selling spam-filters, so maybe it's
> a big setup. First flood them with spam and then sell them a means to
> stop it.
>
> BTW, Mail.app has this preference you can set for an account that will
> warn you if the message you're about to download is larger than a
> certain number of kilobytes. Comes in very handy here.
>
> Arjan

This is what I have done - I have set my Mail.app to not download files
over 7K.

Two things: Rarely have I seen a text message bigger than this.

HTML email do not show up with the penclip symbol showing there to be
an attachment. The phony MS messages, which have caught a few
colleagues off guard until I warned them, do contain an attachment
(104kb). It still amazes me that people believe MS can be bothered
sending out 100,000,000 emails!

Apple of course sends out email to (opted-in) .Mac members every so
often, but that's about 300,000 or less...not much by comparison.

There is one problem with setting a limit to email size in Mail.app -
it won't outright reject the email, but wait until you decide to
receive, skip or delete.

If you neglect the warning for 15 secs, it will download it anyway (it
of course gives you that warning) . Maybe someone knows how to default
it to reject outright.

Les

Les Posen/MEL					      Webmaster
Lposen (AIM/iChat)				Australian Psychological Society
P.O. Box 1229 						  (Victorian Branch)
St.Kilda South					       Virtual Reality Therapy
Australia 3182	  http://homepage.mac.com/lesposen/iMovieTheater1.html