[Ti] Undeletable trash

Chris Olson chris at astcomm.net
Sun Sep 21 07:15:17 PDT 2003

On Sunday, September 21, 2003, at 12:34 AM, Tom R. no spam wrote:

> And not to forget the usual warning that you can do lots of real
> damage by using unix commands if you aren't careful, and "rm -r" is
> one of the dangerous ones.

Oh, come now!  Using Unix commands is not dangerous at all since you
have to explicitly type what it is you want to delete and 'rm -r' is
certainly not dangerous.  All the -r flag does is delete recursively in
a directory.  Some shells will need rm -rf for a forced recursive
delete.  Only using a wildcard to do mass deletions is what I could
consider somewhat risky, like say you cd to a directory and want to
delete all directories with the letters 'st' in the middle so you do
'rm -rf *st*'  And even that's not risky - only the fact that if you
make a typo and happen to hit the return key before you type the whole
command, as in 'rm -rf *' , then hit return by accident, will get rid
of everything (except dot files) with no questions asked.
--
Chris