[Ti] Undeletable trash

Chris Olson chris at astcomm.net
Sun Sep 21 11:02:36 PDT 2003

On Sunday, September 21, 2003, at 12:00 PM, b wrote:

> Chris Olson paused, thought it over, and spoke thusly:
>
>> I've been administering Unix systems for 24 years, and I have better
>> things to do than read the self righteous trash quoted above on a
>> public forum.
>
> I appreciate that Chris. I was working on IBM mainframes over on
> California Avenue in '78, so I'm not as new as some, either, but I've
> also been reading this list for a while, and there are a good number
> of folks here who are not 'old hands' in Unix, the OS X
> terminal/Console, etc. It's for them that I say "Watch yer step".

And I'm sorry I reacted thusly.  OS X is unix, and IMHO, learning to
use the Unix shell is a great tool.  I still prefer the shell over
Finder for many things because Finder has its share of problems,
especially in dealing with network mounts that have gone stale.  The
beauty of OS X, and Woz, you, and others have pointed this out, is that
you don't *have* to go the shell if you don't want to.  There's lots of
great graphical tools, like Cocktail, that can help with problems.
I've been dealing with Unix shells and arcane interfaces like KDE or
Gnome for so long that OS X is like a breath of fresh air in Unix
usability.  But it's still not perfect.  I learn new things all the
time - like I didn't know you could drag a file from Finder to the
terminal and it would put the path in the terminal :-)  Coming from my
background, I always type the first few letters of the path then hit
the 'Tab' key to let the shell finish filling in the path for me.

But the bottom line is, I'm not as versed in the Macintosh interface as
some here, so I resort to the shell when things don't work at the GUI.
I'm learning more and more to use the GUI, but it's as hard for me to
do that as it is for a GUI user to use the shell :-)
--
Chris